7.31.2009

Homemade Mac N Cheese

Josh and I are pretty much kids at heart and love macaroni and cheese. But... making it from a box just does nothing for me... that powdered cheese.. clumping up in the noodles.. Ughh.. So this homemade stuff is great! Its so easy and uses real ingredients. I had a recipe from Martha Stuart that called for Gruyere cheese... and I have NEVER been able to find that... so I've never made it. I am perfectly happy with this recipe... It is yummy (and our kid really likes it too!) 1 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni


5 Tbsp Margarine

2 Tbsp flour

1 1/2 cups milk

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

2 ounces Velvetta

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

2 Tbsp dry bread crumbs


1. Cook Macaroni according to package directions. Drain and place in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Set Aside


2. In a saucepan, melt 5 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth (I always add more flour- enough to make it a thick pasty mixture) Gradually add milk and bring to a boil (I also add more milk than it calls for...) Cook and stir for 2 minutes; Reduce heat- I boil until it is the thicker consistency that i want- If it seems like your white sauce is getting too thick, just add more milk.


3. Stir in cheeses (I add about4 oz velveeta and then the cup of cheddar... I like it cheesy) and salt and pepper until the cheese is melted. Pour over the macaroni and Mix well
4. Sprinkle bread crumbs over top (or if you don't want the bread crumbs you can just skip this step!) Bake, Uncovered at 375 for 30 minutes. YUMMY!!


Photobucket

No comments:

 
Blog Design By: Simply Yours Designs