2.04.2010

Easy Orange Chicken with Broccoli

Sorry for the lack of posts... but I've been trying some new recipes and they haven't been worth sharing... just ask my husband! He's been such a good sport about my recent cooking.

But this one we really liked. From start to finish I had this ready in under 25 minutes. Sounds like a winner to me!

First of all, we served this over rice, and since I always do my rice in the microwave, I started it first- 20 minutes to cooked rice in the microwave and that's how long this dinner took me to make!

Ingredients:
4 tsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2 inch strips
2 cups broccoli florets
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup orange juice
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp cornstarch, mixed with 1 Tbsp. water

In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Saute the chicken until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to another bowl and cover to keep warm. Combine broccoli and water in skillet. Cook, covered until tender-crisp. I used frozen broccoli, so I had to cook mine a little longer. If you use fresh, you should only need to cook it about 5 minutes. Return the chicken to the skillet. Stir in the broth, orange juice, and soy sauce. I didn't have any mixed up orange juice, but I did have OJ concentrate, so I just used a 1/4 cup of the frozen concentrate. Let mixture heat to a slow boil. Add the dissolved cornstarch and cook, stirring frequently until the mixture thickens slightly. Serve over rice.
A couple note:
  • I had to add more cornstarch/water in order to get mine to thicken.
  • I would also add more broth, OJ and soy sauce next time. I would have liked it to be "saucier" than it was.
Enjoy. It has a really mild orange flavor to it and we really liked it.

Photobucket

No comments:

 
Blog Design By: Simply Yours Designs