11.07.2010

Curried Pumpkin Soup


As the season is changing **sigh** it seems that I am feeling like making more and more soups and breads. That is just what sounds good at the end of a cold Fall day(or is it already Winter here in Idaho?) .

This is a delicious, smooth, creamy soup. I got this recipe from my oldest sister and even her kids love it!

4-5 cups pumpkin
(see this post on baking your pumpkin from Halloween!)
2 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
1/2 large onion, chopped into large pieces (Don't waste your time chopping these up teeny... They will be blended at the end)
5 cups chicken broth
2 potatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces (helps to cook faster!)
2 tsp. grated orange zest (if you don't have this, don't worry... I didn't!)
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 cup cream or milk (I just used milk)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In large pot heat olive oil and butter. Then add onion and fry until translucent. Add the broth, pumpkin and potato, and orange zest and raise the heat to high. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender, (25-30 minutes).

Working in batches, transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth. Place over low heat and stir in milk and curry powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat to serving temperature and enjoy. My sister says she likes to eat this in bowls over hot rice, but we just ate it like regular soup with yummy homemade rolls.P.S. Is there a way to make orange soup look attractive in food pictures? I'm pretty sure orange is the hardest color to photograph for food!
Photobucket

1 comment:

Holly said...

I've been looking for a good pumpkin soup recipe! I'm gonna give this one a go on my next menu plan!

 
Blog Design By: Simply Yours Designs