9.03.2010

Double Decker Brownies

Okay, so let me start this post by saying this:

I am on a diet right now... Mostly just a portion control diet and definitely decreasing my sugar intake... With that said, thankfully, I did not eat much of this dessert (or the desserts which will soon be posted.) I make these, try a few and then send the rest home with friends or to work with my husband. My husband's co-workers enjoy them and I get to miss out on the calories! Works for me!

Chocolate Layer:

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup walnuts
pinch of salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup cocoa

In a bowl, combine eggs, sugar, flour, nuts and salt. In another bowl, stir butter and cocoa until smooth; add to egg mixture and blend well with spoon. Pour into a greased 9x13 in pan. Set aside.

Butterscotch Layer:
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Cream butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour, salt and nuts. Spoon over the chocolate layer. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes until brownies begin to pull away from the edges of the pan. Cool. This is what mine looked like after baking. It was very uneven and I ended up cutting away some of the edges to flatten it before adding the frosting layer.
Frosting:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
3 Tbsp. milk
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup butterscotch chips
1 Tbsp. shortening

Combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a small saucepan; bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar until smooth. Quickly spread over brownies. This will harden fast, so do this step quick! In a small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate and butterscotch chips and shortening. Stir frequently and drizzle over frosting.

Yields: 3 dozen
(seriously- 3dozen... cut these into SMALL brownies. They are VERY RICH!)

Photobucket

6 comments:

Anna said...

Those look so yummy! It makes me wish I had someone around besides me to eat a whole pan of brownies. I guess I'm going to have to recruit my neighbors!

Jaimee said...

Wow.... So you're loseing weight eating this stuff? Sign me up! :) I can't make these kinds of things at my house or I eat it all! I just can't seem to stop :)

Hil said...

Y.U.M.

Ashley Wray said...

These look divine! Chocolate and butterscotch is one of my favorite combos! Going to try these, but giving most of them away is a must for me. Or else I'd hide in my closet and eat every bite!

Suzanne & Andrew Dupuis said...

Can't wait to try these!!! Mmmm!

Hannah said...

Wow, Adele! THese look fantastic. Your photography is really looking nice, too!

 
Blog Design By: Simply Yours Designs